Secret Weapon Miniatures Rolling Fields Tiles

Back in mid July, I decided that I needed a table. It's been a long while since I've had a proper wargaming table. Space is a problem--my house isn't tiny, but I've got a townhome, a kid, and too everyone here has too much stuff as it is.

A traditional table was right out; there's no way I could go with a 6x4 in one piece, or probably even in two or three pieces. Space issues preclude keeping the tools and supplies needed to put a big project together, anyway, and what's the point if you're stuck with what amounts to a green piece of plywood in a closet?

Poking around, I found out about Secret Weapon's Tablescapes and it presented a perfect solution. They're 1ft x 1ft tiles of molded plastic in various terrain themes and they look good. The Rolling Fields theme is what I settled on, and I found a guy selling a full 24 tile (6x4) set at 20% off because they'd been opened and partially primed.

I ended up really pleased, not least because they're even more portable than I expected. They're lingering in my desk/workspace corner right now because I'm working on them, but once I'm done they'll stack neatly and easily.

Getting the tiles also gave me an excuse to finally get into airbrushing. I'm not aiming to get too into it, but for post-priming basecoats, especially on terrain, I'm extremely into it. The results of the fading between soil colors after inking are really, really good and make me look way more talented than I actually am.

Work in progress tiles

You'll see the results below. The Rolling Fields set comes with several river tiles, which I'll post later. I'm saving them for last, since they require more colors and I'm going the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water route, which I've never done.

The scheme is pretty simple: black primer, followed by a Bestial Brown basecoat everywhere but the edges--I opted for flock as the path of least resistance for making sure the tiles could be moved around easily. After that, some Minitaire Earth, then Agrax Earthshade to pull it together. Lastly, a drybrush of Balor Brown then a lighter drybrush of Ushabti Bone. Rocks, of course, were done with handpainted Citadel greys.

Once all that was done, I did weathering powder work with a mix of a dark brown earth, green earth, and a touch of violet. The results were really nice, though I opted not to fix them; I cannot get the proper capillary action on any fixer for the results I want and, in any event, I had to seal with varnish at the end, anyway.

The flock was a mix of Woodland Scenics medium green, harvest gold, and some leftover (and ancient) Citadel bright green. I added a few patches of other colors after the fact to add a little pop here and there along with some tufts.

I'm extremely happy with the results. Terrain building and painting is extremely fun, and I historically do it rarely. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at river making.

Various stages of pre-flocking

Post the feet pics sweetie.